Monday 4 August 2014

Bacon wrapped herby goat's cheese and Devil's Jam

I love goat's cheese, I love it on potatoes, chicken, in stews, on top of my pizza, just on or in anything really. So in one of my nightly driftings I came up with an idea to combined Bacon (one of my favourite things in the world) with Goat's Cheese (another favourite). I also decided to make some Devil's jam to use up some basil I had growing and the two worked together brilliantly. So brilliantly in fact that I am sharing it with you all. It is quick, easy and tasty. The sweet and spicy of the devil's jam really compliments the saltly, strong flavour of your goat's cheese wraps.



To make a romantic portion (2 people), you will need:-

200g log of goat's cheese, the small, thin ones, cut into 50g 'blocks'
4 rashers of streaky bacon
pinch of salt and pepper
pinch of dried dill and oregano

For the Devil's jam:-

1 tin of peeled tomatoes (450g)
3 red chillies, rough cut
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
about 2 tablespoons of fresh basil
100ml red wine vinegar
250g jam sugar
salt and pepper

You want to make your jam a day or so before. First sweat off the chilli, onion and garlic until soft, then add the red wine vinegar and reduce by half. Add the tomatoes and jam sugar and cook out for 20-30 minutes. Add the basil, salt and pepper and leave to cool and thicken.

Now to start on the goat's cheese. Preheat your oven to 225oC. Then mix your salt, pepper, dill and oregano together and then coat the outside of the goat's cheese. Then wrap in the bacon and place into a pyrex dish. Put in the oven for about 10 minutes. Take out and put onto a plate with some devil's jam.

Goes well with some toast or just a snack to tie you over.

No comments:

Post a Comment