Tuesday 12 August 2014

Summer Spiced Carrot Soup

So I had some carrots in my fridge and was thinking to myself "what should I do with them?" This carried on during my work shift and then it came to me - "why not make carrot and coriander soup", the voice in my head proclaimed. I thought it was a good idea as it is one of my favourite soups. So I was determined to make this after I finished my work shift at 2300 as a way to calm down. My fridge also revealed fresh ginger, some potatoes and garlic, so it all came together and I created this awesome soup.





This is not only a refreshing summer soup but can be a warming winter comfort for those dark nights. It is also entirely vegan friendly (except when I add a swirl of cream but you don't have to do that) and packed full of vitamins and minerals to give you a healthy boost to your system. It is so simple and cheap to make and lasts for a week in the fridge (if it gets that far).

So to make this nutritional soup you will want to have:-

1 tbsp vegetable oil
500g carrots, washed and chopped
1 small onion, rough chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium potato, washed and chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
2 tsp ground coriander
1.5 litre vegetable stock
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper
(Cream to finish, if you want)

First heat up the oil in a large pan, then you want to sauté your carrots, onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Add the potato, coriander, sugar and some seasoning (I used 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper) stir and cook out for about a minute.

Add your vegetable stock and bring up to a boil. Reduce this to a simmer until the carrots are tender, this takes about 20 minutes.

Using a stick blender whizz it all up until smooth and add the nutmeg and correct the seasoning to taste.

Serve with a swirl of cream if you like or nicely crisped croûtons for that added gourmet feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment