Tuesday 25 November 2014

Coconut and Treacle Flapjacks

When I was younger I loved to get flapjacks as a treat from the local bakery. There was something about the soft, gooey oaty bars that appealed to me. As I got older I seemed to put them on the back burner. I am not sure why I did that.

They are so easy to make and can be knocked up in a matter of minutes, so they are easy to make at short notice if you have guests coming round. I made mine for Family Home Evening, which is a night in the week (traditionally Monday) which the family gets together and does activities. It is encouraged in the Church and is designed to help strengthen families. They were a smash hit with those present.


To make one baking tray (33cm*36cm):-

250g rolled oats
125g butter (not marg)
125g brown sugar
3tbsp treacle
40g dessicated coconut
pinch of salt

Start by pre-heating your oven to 175C. Put all your ingredients into the food processor and pulse until mixed. Don't overdo it as you want to keep the oaty texture.

Grease up your baking tray and put in the mixture. Using the back of a spoon, press down the mixture firmly and flatly and the score into your desired portions.

Put into the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes (15 makes really soft while 20 makes really crunchy). Take out and place on a cooling rack until cool enough to eat.

It is all that simple and the entire process takes 25-30 minutes. So no more excuses to not having snacks for your guests. They will also keep for a month in a sealed container.

No comments:

Post a Comment